Caring for your Christmas tree.
Remember, a Christmas tree is a living thing - care for it as carefully as you would a cut flower. Once you select a Christmas tree, follow these suggestions to keep it fresh and safe.
Following these care and precaution measures should insure an attractive tree that stays fresh indoors for several weeks.
- If you buy your tree several days before it will be set up and decorated, store the tree outdoors or on a cool porch or patio until you are ready to decorate. An area that provides protection from the wind or sun will help the tree retain its moisture.
- If you plan to store the tree several days, make a straight-across cut on the butt of the tree about an inch from the end. This opens the tree stem so it can take up water. Store the tree upright and place the butt end in a container of water.
- When you bring the tree into the house for decorating, make another fresh, straight-across cut in the trunk about an inch from the original cut. Use a tree stand that holds water.
- Trees are thirsty. They may drink between two pints and a gallon of water per day - so make sure to check daily and supply fresh water as needed. A stand which holds at least a gallon of water is recommended. If you allow the water level to drop below the trunk, a seal will form just as it does on a cut flower, and a new cut will be necessary.
- Place the tree away from fireplaces, radiators, TV sets and other heat sources. Turn off the tree lights when you leave your home and before you retire at night.
- Avoid use of combustible decorations. Check all electric lights and connections. Do not use lights with warm or frayed cords and NEVER use lighted candles.
Click here to go back to fun and facts.
Christmas Trees | Maple Syrup |
Home | Family | Maps & Information
Copyright Horton Tree Farms 2021. The information and resources presented on this site are for informative purposes only, and we cannot guarantees the accuracy, completeness, usefulness or adequacy of any
resources, information, apparatus, product, or process available at or from this website.